Pages

05 January 2015

2014 Blog in Review

Well, 2015 is here, and another year has passed. Although life stuff has had its serious ups and downs this year, our family has certainly been blessed.

On the blog-front, however, I seem to have not quite found my routine. It's not that I really expect anyone to read anything I've posted. This is more of an exercise in strengthening my writing skills as well as a expanding my reading experiences. A sort of creative catharsis coupled with a quantitative aspect.

Looking back on 2014, I did accomplish something I haven't done in a while: I actually read some books for pleasure. I've also been reading some bedtime stories and such to the kid, but I didn't really count those.

Something I learned from last year is that I have no idea how to review a book I've read. It takes me a couple of days just to process my impression of the book as a whole (as it does for a movie, song, life experience, etc.), and it seems by then I've forgotten most of what happened in the book in order to summarize it. I'm going to give this another attempt for 2015. If you don't write at all, you can't learn to write better.

I also categorically failed at reading the Bible in a year again. I'll keep trying, though. I'll have to accomplish this at some point, even if I will know Genesis by heart when I reach that point.

Among the challenges I attempted:

  • Bible in a Year: I read 305 out of 1189 chapters; that's 25.7% of the Bible.
  • 2014 Read Your Freebies: I read 7 out of 12; only reviewed 3 out of the 7.
  • Nonfiction Reading Challenge 2014: I read 1 out of 5. Oy!
For 2015, I'll set my goals low again, attempting only the lowest tiers of reading challenges, the details of which will appear on my 2015 Blog Preview post.


I hope yours was a great 2014. Here's to an even better 2015.

LeviSamJuno

No comments:

Post a Comment